Search This Blog

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Rose Colored Glasses



I looked through the rose-colored glasses, yo
what I'd find, I really didn't know
Would I be rich? Would I find fame?
Would everyone know my name?

To my surprise I didn't see
dollar bills or lots of bling on me
No magazine cover featured my face
I wasn't known by the human race.

But I had the money to pay the bills
and the hungry didn't beg for all their meals
and no one worried about bein' beaten down
a look of contentment replaced a frown.

Peace supplanted the race with Mr. Jones
and guns were replaced with ice cream cones
"You are Loved" covered protest signs
and rainbows were found in all designs.

We were free to worship, free to love
war itself was undreamed of
It didn't occur to anyone to hate
to teach division and perpetuate.

And I found there was more to being rich
it was pickin' my brother out of the ditch
it was putting out a helping hand
refusing to put my head in the sand.

Not spending all day worrying about my own
but reaching out to those all alone
findin' with each act my own heart grows
its easier to smile and my spirit glows.

Rose colored glasses certainly made me rich
they changed my heart, and made my own mind switch.
Showed me fame and fortune is an empty goal
reaching out brings peace to the soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment