Search This Blog

Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Lesson Tinker Taught Me



Sometimes, there are animals who rise above their nature and show the world that it is possible to be at peace with those who are so unlike yourself. Tinker, my little chihuahua/pekingese mix has been doing that her whole life. Since she was a puppy, her close friends always seemed to be from another species. If she wasn't playing with her rat, Caloy, she was playing with her bird, Sago. If any of the other animals had any intention of bothering her friends, she protected them for all she was worth. She still does.


Watching her has taught me a lot. Even when she finds it necessary to growl at another one of the dogs who has gotten a little too close to her buddies, she makes up immediately. She never holds a grudge. After she has her say, the first thing she does is lick the one who she has argued with and flip over submissively as if  to say, "lets be friends again."

And though Tinker is far from perfect, when I see the gentleness she can display, I am amazed. She likes to get into the bird cage often with her life long friend, Sago. I give her a Milkbone to keep her busy, and she inevitably shares it with Sago. And Sago, who has never been able to bond with a human, finds an incredible amount of peace being with Tinker. He will preen her as he would preen a mate, and he will watch over her with undying loyalty. Neither seem to notice that they are so very different.

 I try hard to exhibit the gentleness that Tinker has taught me. Yet, just like Tinker, who has the family temper, I too am imperfect. But I think that if I, one who struggles so much with fears and phobias, can bring peace to another, as Tinker brings to Sago, how wonderful that would be. It would mean that there is hope for all of us. 

Let us all strive to bring peace to just one other no matter how different they are...and pass it on.






No comments:

Post a Comment