Search This Blog

Monday, December 13, 2010

Joy: To Infinity and Beyond



The concept of infinity is something shared by both science and religion. It is the idea of boundlessness. There is no beginning nor end. Even in math, if MAX is the highest number in existence, there HAS to be a MAX plus One (MAX + 1= ?). The greatest minds have tried to wrap their brains around the concept, but it is really bigger than even the smartest brains can imagine. 

If you want to know one thing that brings me JOY, it is this concept. That there are INFINITE POSSIBILITIES. This is the main reason I am not bothered by the notion that science and faith can exist together. Science has neither proved nor disproved the existence of God, and religion cannot prove that science is invalid. 

I cannot look at an atheist and tell them with one hundred percent certainty that they are wrong. I can only have faith. In the same way, they cannot tell me beyond any doubt that I have no soul. 

I found it strange in a conversation earlier this week with my atheist friends (whom I have complete respect for and love dearly) that no one questioned me about my homosexuality. They simply trust me on when I say I am homosexual. There is no scientific test to prove my level of  "gayness". Yet at the same time, they need proof that God exists before they will believe.
On the flip side, Christians think it strange if I question the existence of God, thinking it foolish to question such a notion. However, there is no scientific proof that God exists. One must take it on faith. Yet an entire population of people are being condemned for being gay because the Christian community refuses to accept the testimony of millions of people that they have known since childhood that they were gay.
Both groups--Christian and Atheist--demanding the other group have FAITH--but not extending it themselves. Either demand proof on ALL things or take ALL things on faith. 

This is the exciting thing about both groups agreeing there is the possibility of INFINITY. There are INFINITE POSSIBILITIES. 

I have always been one to question things and to need proof. My auntie, would remind me of the song "Farther Along" which says "farther along we'll understand why". In other words, one day, we will have all the answers.  None of us, scientist or theologian, can say with ABSOLUTE proof that they are right. ALL must be accepted on FAITH. Sure, science has definitive ways of proving some theories, no doubt, yet there are things that are unprovable at this time. Science has not proven there is no God. Religion has not proven that there is. 

Does it matter? If my spiritual faith brings me joy and hurts no one, why worry if I have faith? At the same time, if scientific theory makes sense to my brother, why force religion down his throat? If there is a God, do you not have the faith to believe that he/she can reveal him/herself to that brother if it will "save" his soul? So why do we fight and argue?
If we focused more on bringing JOY into the world, the rest would take care of itself. May we each strive to do just that. Amen.

by Nicolas Wegner

1 comment:

  1. A man may be an heretic in the truth, and if he believe things only because his pastor says so, or the assembly so determines, without knowing other reason, though his belief be true, yet the very truth he holds becomes his heresy. F.W. Farrar

    ReplyDelete