Search This Blog

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Act Justly, Love Mercy, Walk Humbly

"And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with YOUR God." (emphasis mine)

Your God. Your own personal Jesus.

 Not THE God. Not THIS God. Not the god of the Hebrews. Not the god of the Baptists, Methodist, Catholics...... YOUR God.

Act Justly. Love Mercy. Walk Humbly. 

Universal truths. 

Everyone seems to think they have the corner market on God. It makes us argue, debate, fight, and even go to war. 

Yet look how simple it is. When asked what the greatest of all commandments was Jesus said: 

Matthew 22:37-40 (NIV)

  37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

The Message interprets this as: 
“‘Love the Lord your God with all your passion and prayer and intelligence.’

Simple. Universal. 
Add caption

People often tell me I over think my faith. They even say its dangerous to know too much. Perhaps I should answer "I am just loving MY God with all my intelligence". 

 My absolute fascination with ancient religion and the evolution of faith is NOT to disprove God. It is a WORSHIP of my Creator. 

And I will not lie and tell you that my vision of the Creator is the same as yours. This is MY God that I walk humbly with. 

I do get so frustrated and people interpret it as anger at religion. I feel like there is a diamond of truth in amongst all
these stones and earth. As I said today, I feel that everything that has happened in the church since the death of Jesus has shoved that diamond deeper and deeper until it is in danger of being lost. 

Thankfully, there are some who have been digging. And what do we find? That people of different faiths all follow the same Golden Rule. I grew up hearing about Jesus, so even though I do not call myself a Christian, I have the Teacher Jesus engrained in my heart. Yet that does not mean that we should ignore all other teachers. As we see from the list above, their teachings are similar and we can learn from that. 

Act Justly. Love Mercy. Walk Humbly with YOUR God. 

Blessed be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment